Beginnings of Municipality
The name of community Horni Sucha firstly appeared in the year 1305. Origin of the name is not cleared up yet. It would be nice to believe to a legend there was the only one dry pine-tree on the forest glade and the place was called Sucha Polana. When the pine-tree due to climatic influences felt down people burned it and at the end of thirteen century settled on that place, established village which was called Sucha. Community is situated on the riversides of Susanka. The surroundings were covered by thickly wooded forest and lots of animals formerly. Those were good conditions for permanent habitation.
By the year 1471 was Horni Sucha in the property of lineage of Tesin’s Piasts. Most of the inhabitants were low-income Poles, Czechs and Germans, who worked from three-quarters on the field, and others worked in the handicraft of linen.
In the second half of the XIX century (1864) was founded in the village a Municipal office and it was actually symbolically and in fact confirmed the existence of Horni Sucha Municipality. The nineteenth century was very important for the municipality: in the year 1810 a school was founded, in 1832 a sugar factory, and in 1835 a church.
Equally important for municipality development was the XX century: in 1907 construction of railway lines via Horni Sucha to Cesky Tesin was started, in 1910 a brickworks and pottery factory was built, in 1911 construction of the mine was started.
After the First World War
After the First World War and establishment of independent Republic also in the municipality occurred significant changes. There were built up new school buildings, firehouse, savings banks, bank branches, were developing the Czech and Polish cultural organizations focused in public educational, sports and political activities.
Period at the beginning of WW2 did not bring to nation or municipality any good. The property of many residents and families were confiscated, some families have been displaced, many people went to jail, and many were killed. Since 1940 Horni Sucha did not have a municipal office.
After the war, much has changed for the better: the development of industry, education and agricultural production meant strengthening the role of the municipality. Kilometres of new roads, new economic, cultural and sports facilities, development of coal mining, were positives that came with new era. It is necessary to mention also the irreparable damages caused by the development on the countryside and sights. Entire villages disappeared, and so it happened that disappeared most beautiful parts of our municipality.
An interesting is the number of residents development: 1890 lived in the municipality 1677 inhabitants, 1910 2733 inhabitants, 1921 2932 inhabitants, 1930 3545 inhabitants, 1939 3854 inhabitants, 1945 4283 inhabitants, and 1961 5307 inhabitants.
The year 1975 meant loss of independence of Horni Sucha for a further 15 years, the municipality became the sixth part of the town Havířov.
Recent Past and Present
In 1990, the situation in municipality was developing quite favourable. In particular, as the result of referendum, the municipality became independent again. Also, thanks to the courage of entrepreneurs, citizens of the municipality, were there raising a whole range of food shops, shopping centre, technical, textiles and garden stores, various workshops, warehouses and develops services for residents, restaurant facility, etc. It should be noted that many of the business premises changed owners, some disappeared. But there are appearing also new, so the municipality development in this direction is provided.
In 1991 lived 4263 inhabitants in municipality, who in the national census reported for a total of nine nationalities. The number has stabilized at the 4370 on 1 January 2003
In the early nineties, after declaration of the independence of the village "de facto" and "de jure", two ecological structures were started- canalization and gas distribution. Design work on the extension of the Czech school has been started. Construction was completed in 1997. The municipal council began to manage the assets of the village; six houses and a nursery school building in the street Vnitrni were sold. Rebuilding of "Teachers Home" into Polish nursery school was started. In 1992, construction of the dining room and kitchen at Czech elementary school and the work involved (transformer and electric) began. The municipality is building roads and sidewalks, among other things is building gas line to Czech primary school. Also repair of chapel and mortuary at the cemetery was difficult.
In 1993, was started construction of health center, in 1994 the municipality bought the building “Delnicky Dum”, in 1995 began the construction of nursing home. His acceptance was in the year 2003.
In Municipality there were long time unsightly so-called pension houses. Therefore was made the demolition. In July 2004, the sports hall, which was built from municipality own resources, was approved, afterwards were used subsidy from ministry of nearly 15 million crowns, also was completed reconstruction of the Hall in Delnicky Dum total cost of about 2.5 mil crowns.
There is much more what we can speak about. E.g. twin municipalities’ relations, the Commission's activities, organizations, without whose municipality would be poorer - Volunteer firemen, PZKO, schools, sports and cultural life of the village, etc.